Saturday, October 8, 2011

"Grandma Take Me Home . . ."

Grandma Take Me Home, ballpoint pen & digital collage

Listening to music is one of those things that I live on. Living in a podunk town, the radio plays the same terrible pop music from 10 years ago, rotating every 2 hours or so. Other than playing percussion in middle school, I know next to nothing about instruments or history in music. It probably was not until I started college that I started to really listen and explore the genres of music that I truly enjoy. The underground punk rock of the late 80's and the introduction of 90's grunge music particularly strike a common chord with me. Not only do I love the musical itself, but the intentions of the artists to deviate from the pop scene really drew me in.

Going through my portfoilio I see that pretty much have no portraits of any sort, and I thought I would pay tribute to the musicians that have had a huge influence on me and my work.

Nirvana especially intrigued me. I first listened to their more popular & over-played songs (which I still love anyway), but then to listened to less familiar ones, finding that I wanted to just hear more. I started to read more about Nirvana, the band, the lyrics, its influences, and Kurt Cobain's death. Yeah, he was easy on the eyes, but the emotional torment that seemed to progress through his young life just kinda broke my heart; it moved me to do a portrait of Kurt Cobain. The anniversary for the album Nevermind was September 24, when I (almost) finished this piece.

The title of this piece is from the song lyrics of Sliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment